Stitch Box Monthly: October


Woo-hoo -- happy mail!!  After opening my mailbox day after day, receiving bills, bills and more bills (and none of them being dollar bills...lol), I was so happy the day my Stitch Box Monthly showed up!

 If you haven't heard of SBM, it's basically a mystery box of sewing goodies that shows up in your mailbox each month (or however long you have signed up for).  Each box has a theme and the supplies inside revolve around that.  Boxes are $35 including shipping (US pricing), but you can get the boxes as low as $25/month if you prepay for the entire year.  The Stitch Boxes contain at least $40 worth of sewing supplies.  [International shipping also available, see website]

I actually got it just as I was getting ready to head over to my daughter's school and wait (and wait and wait) in the car line.  This little box sat next to me while I waited.  And I wondered what was hiding inside...

What is IN THE BOX?
  • 2 yds of coordinating Moda Simply Style fabric
  • Josephine Dress Pattern by Foo Foo Threads
  • 1 spool of Gutermann thread in matching green
  • 2 green rhinestone buttons
  • Bohin Double Face Tape
  • Omnigrid Glow-Line Tape


I was excited that these fabrics pulled me outside my comfort zone a bit, namely the green.  They are perfect for fall, but will wear well in the spring as well.  It was my 5 year old's turn to get a new outfit so I enlisted her help in which version of the Josephine Dress by Foo Foo Threads I should sew and where each fabric should go.  I was happy to see the Josephine as the chosen pattern.  I had been eyeing this as it's always recommended for a flat-front peasant dress.  With countless options to make it unique, you'll love it too!


Miss 5 decided she wanted short sleeves so she could wear it year-round (smart thinking!) and was adamant that the bodice be green.  Perfect!  The back is shirred and I so happened to have received matching green thread!  I dug through my stash to find a third coordinate for the sash and came up with a very tiny scrap of turquoise and had just enough to squeak out a thin sash.  I added navy ric rac to pull the blue upward and added to navy blue buttons on the bodice.


If you read my last post on Stitch Box Monthly, you'll know I didn't use the Gutermann thread last month... not because I didn't like it.  Quite the opposite.  I didn't want to waste it on the inside seams...LOL  But, I went to town shirring up the back with the included thread and it sews like a dream!

As I was sewing my sash, I got to the last step where I topstitch it all to close the little gap that I had turned it all through... and then the lightbulb went off (or maybe it's on...). Anyway, I headed over to this month's box (yes, I leave it all inside until I use it, otherwise it quickly gets lost in my sewing mess room) and pulled out the Bohin Double Face Tape.  Yup. I taped that sucker shut and quickly got it topstitched without having to remove any pins.


Oh yeah, those two green rhinestone buttons -- I racked my brain on how to use those.  I couldn't sew them on my bodice because my daughter chose the green fabric for the bodice.  I thought about sewing some fabric flowers and adorning the sash, but then I saw my bobby pins.  I stuck a bobby pin through each shank, pulled my daughter's hair into a bun and stuck them in.  Done and done!

The only item I haven't had a chance to use is the Omnigrid Glow-Line Tape.  I know it will come in handy when I sew my larger hems because reading those little lines on your machine is hard. haha





How do you GET THE BOX?!
  • Signing up for Stitch Box Monthly is easy!  
  • Head to www.stitchboxmonthly.com to choose a 1, 3, 6. 12 month subscription or choose a recurring subscription every month
  • Add in your shipping info
  • Pay 
  • Wait by your mailbox for your surprises!

Thanks, Stitch Box Monthly --- I had SEW much fun!!

*In exchange for my review, I was sent the products for free.  I was not compensated
in any other fashion.  All views and thoughts are mine, and mine alone. *
5 comments on "Stitch Box Monthly: October"
  1. This came out great, can you explain, do you get a paper pattern or a code for the PDF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, yes. This came with a download code for a PDF pattern :) Sorry about that missing detail ;)

      Delete
  2. Thinking the sbm would make a great Xmas gift! Great job! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari, Are the boxes always geared to sewing for little girls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the boxes could easily be used for sewing for yourself. Here's a link to see what has been in previous boxes: http://www.stitchboxmonthly.com/product-info.html

      Delete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature