PATTERN REVIEW: The Fancy Flounce Skirt by Little Kiwi's Closet


By now, you may know both of my daughters are completely skirt-obsessed, and I have to admit, I love making them!  When I got the opportunity to review the Fancy Flounce Skirt by Little Kiwi's Closet, I couldn't resist!  I knew my daughters would love it and I just had to see how it was made.

The Fancy Flounce is quite flouncy -- 16 to be exact!  It's a super fun skirt with an elastic/knit waistband that swishes when you walk .  And construction is easier than you think!


Pattern Details
  • Sizes 6/12m - 12 Girls
  • Pattern pieces: 2 pieces, nested in size categories to reduce pages, minimal color ink usage
  • Tutorial style: Step-by-step with real color photos --- very easy to follow along!
  • Charts/diagrams included: Yardage, pattern layout/print guide, sizing chart, cutting chart (waistband and lining), cutting layout diagram
  • Pattern level: Adventurous beginner
  • REQUIRED: Serger with rolled hem feature

The back looks just like the front.

As I mentioned above, construction is easier than you think.  It honestly, gets a bit rhythmic as you repeat a few processes 16 times!  This skirt has been on my to-do list for a few weeks now and honestly, seemed kind of daunting.  But this morning, with my looming deadline of this post, it was crunch time!  Yep, I cut this skirt out this morning, sewed it up, and was ready for pictures after school all while keeping my 4 year old entertained (which is no easy task... haha). So I cut, I roll hemmed, and I connected 16 times in a row and before I knew it, I was ready to cut my lining!  Although her waist measurement put her in a size 2 (she almost 6... but sooooo slim), I opted for the wide elastic waist option for sizes 5 and up.

There are a few tips/recommendations I have: 1) I'd use the same fabric for both the flounces and connector pieces. (Sorry, I'm OCD..LOL)  2) I'd use fabric that is yarn-dyed so it's the same color on the backside. (again, OCD)  3) I found it easier to hug the curve on the rolled hem if I kept my knife engaged. 4) I starched my flounces and connector pieces and I think it made them stiffer than intended so skip the starch!

Overall, it was faster than I thought to make this skirt, my daughter loves it and can't wait to wear it to school tomorrow. The tutorial was super easy to follow too!  If it's cold where you live, it'd be adorable over the Skinny Legs Leggings (reviewed HERE)  


Guess what?!  There just so happens to be a Sew Along starting up for the Fancy Flounce Skirt in the Little Kiwi's Closet Pattern Group.  It starts the 22nd and runs through the 28th -- join the group for full details!!  And snag the code above to save 20%, of course.

Important links




See ya!!






Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature